Tuesday, October 13, 2009

journal 5 carlos

I would say that all the stories stood out to me but the one that stood out the most would be Papa who wakes up tired in the dark. This story stood out to me because in that story Esperanza’s grandfather dies. In the story it does not say how she was feeling or what she thinks but I would say that she was feeling sad. I cannot relate to this story because thankfully my grandparents are still alive and I hope that I would not have to deal with their passing away In the near future. My favorite sentence is “My papa, his thick hands and thick shoes, who wakes up tired in the dark, who combs his hair with water, drinks his coffee, and is gone before we wake, today is sitting on my bed” (Cisneros 57). That’s my favorite sentence because it describes what Esperanza’s dad does before he leaves to work but on that day he did not do any of those things because of the passing away of his dad.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this. I do not know what i would do if someone died in my family. I also chose that sentence on page 57 as my favorite sentecce for the story. It shows that he wants to look presentable when he gets there and that he respects his father alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the quote you picked it definitely was important to the story in showing how the characters felt.

    ReplyDelete