Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My first job-kara


My first job was at a clothing store in the mall called Delia’s. My best friend at the time worked there so I though it would be fun, super easy, and I would get a great discount! What I remember most about this job is always thinking, “how soon until I get off?” For the first couple months, the managers did not bother to teach me how to work the register, so all I did for hours at a time was fold clothes over and over and over again. And once I would finish one job, my boss would say, “Kara, go fold the jean wall.” (Which had about a million different pairs located on it.) I was a caged in bird forced to put a smile on. It also did not help that little girls would mess up piles right after I folded them! I expected folding in the retail industry, but definitely not perfection such as this store demanded. Once I started working the register though, things got better. I was listening to “Excuse me, find me a different size in this.” Don’t get me wrong, I have lots of respect for people who work in retail, because I know how hard it is, I just know now that it is not the job for me.

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel when no one wants to take the time to teach you how to work anything in the store

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also be frustrated if after i just fixed those jeans and then little kids come and emss them up. I agree i would often think at times when do i get off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to work at Delias but i never got the job because the manager would call me every week but not tell me when the interview was...it was really frustrating but i understand what you mean when no one teaches you how to do something and you WORK there? its kinda like giving a child candy but holding it 3 feet away from them.

    ReplyDelete