Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Journal six

I learned a lot about Esperanza and her family by reading the book House On Mango Street. They live in a very poor neighborhood and have always dreamed of a better life. Esperanza's papa and mother always tell the children that their living conditions are temperary and the children always make the best of the situation. This showed me how strong a family can be, as long as they have each other they can manage anything. I also learned that you should never give up on your dreams no matter how impossible they seem.
The main strengths of this book are its sense details and great descriptions. The reader can always picture each scene very clearly because Cisneros allows you to paint a picture in your head with her descriptive language. I don't believe there are any weaknesses for this book, but sometimes it is hard to undersatnd her hidden meanings behind her personal stories. My favorite story from the reading over the weekend is The Monkey Garden. Esperanza and her friends love this garden for it is an escape for them, "This, I suppose, was the reason why we went there. Far away from where our mothers could find us" (Cisneros 95). I understand how nice it is to have a place where you can relax and get away from all the stresses in your life.

5 comments:

  1. Good passage, i liked the imagery too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the passage that you chose. I think for these kids a place to escape is very important because most of the time they aren't happy and getting away from everything gives them hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought the book had the same strengths

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job on the describing your favorite chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good post i as well i like the strenghts in the book

    ReplyDelete